- This event has passed.
Council for Geoscience – Geoscience Summit 110 Years Celebration
25 October 2022 @ 8h00 - 27 October 2022 @ 17h00
The Council for Geoscience (CGS) has previously hosted three successful Summits in the years 2016, 2017 and 2019. In 2021, the CGS hosted its biennial Summit. The Summits bring together researchers, scientists, decision-makers as well as nationally and internationally renowned experts for the exchange of knowledge, experiences and research innovations in the geoscientific space. The CGS took this opportunity to also showcase its operational programmes and strategy which are aligned to the national developmental imperatives of South Africa.
In order to continue with this tradition, the CGS will host a Geoscience Summit on 25 to 27 October 2022 which will be a celebration of 110 years of CGS existence and excellence in geoscience research.
The 110-year celebration aims to highlight the significant role played by the CGS and its partners in achieving its mandate and its contribution to South Africa. The objectives are as follows:
- To recognise geoscience contributions to the development of South Africa through geology research and training, enhanced national mapping and geoscience research broadly;
- To celebrate the CGS’s resilience, endurance and sustainability that has been a hallmark of its success over the years and thereby promoting the CGS brand as a trusted custodian of geoscientific data, information and knowledge in the Republic.
- To acknowledge the forbearers of the CGS and their contribution to the field of geoscience
- To promote and encourage responsive programmes in the field of geoscience as the basis for human development.
- To develop a geosciences education and training plan that will take geosciences in general into the future – one that is socially responsible, environmentally sustainable and that meets the needs of a growing and revitalised economy.
For more information: Click here.